individual sessions | group sessions | workshops
Perhaps you feel stuck in a rut and want to try an alternative way to process things. Or maybe you have been in traditional talk therapy and felt you have reached a plateau. Art therapy provides a way to utilise the creative process to express yourself, gain insight and awareness and to build coping skills. We all know the expression ‘A picture is worth a thousand words’, and when we draw, paint or make things in 3D, we can so easily express more than words can say.
What can it help with?
- Tapping into a part of ourselves that we may not be consciously aware of
- Accessing material that might otherwise be censored with words
- Developing coping skills for managing depression and anxiety
- Processing traumatic experiences
- Processing and exploring transitions
- Exploring future goals
- Discovering and defining our sense of self
- Developing confidence
- Fostering a sense of play and exploration
- Exploring difficult feelings and emotions in a non-confrontational way
- Having an experience that inherently lowers anxiety and relieves stress
What do we do?
Some creative arts sessions may include painting, collage, clay work, sand tray work, or simply looking at images and forming our own associations. Sessions may also include poetry or stories, to enhance and deepen the feelings being explored. Some people like to talk and make art at the same time, while others prefer to focus on their artwork and speak about it afterwards. It depends on what is most comfortable for you.
I have a variety of materials including acrylic paint, watercolors, oil pastels, chalk pastels, colored pencils, markers, collage, modeling materials, fabric, etc. You are also welcome to show me art that you have created at home for us to explore and look at together.
Aside from art therapy techniques, I use a number of traditional methods to help you gain insight into yourself. These could be mindfulness based awareness exercises, cognitive behaviour therapy, and couples counselling methodologies, among others.
I work with many people who know and understand the value of creativity, but find it difficult to begin creative projects or even complete them once they are underway. In our one-on-one sessions, I can also take on the role of a coach - helping you set goals for your creative work and guiding you to complete projects to their fullest potential.
One-on-one sessions are usually 60-75 minutes long and involve a combination of talking and making art. I frequently include mindfulness and meditation training, as I see these as invaluable tools in any area of personal development. Visit Frequently Asked Questions to learn more about what to expect.
I hold short courses, typically for 4 - 6 weeks, for groups of people who may be working through similar challenges. These are sometimes held in community centers, schools or universities, general hospitals, psychiatric hospitals, women's centers, or aged care centers.
WORKSHOPS and SHORT COURSES
I currently hold workshops and short courses on Mindfulness, Art and Mindfulness, Vision Boards, and
Rituals for Self Care.
- Face-to-face sessions, group sessions and workshops are held in various locations in the United Arab Emirates and in Northern NSW and Southern Qld, Australia
- See scheduled events, or contact me to organize an event.